Monday 27 May 2013

Clawing back my social life...

Here's thing about having to deal with a major illness: it leaves you a bit knackered (fucking understatement of the century there). And being tired results in being able to do bugger all.

I am lucky to have a wonderful gang of friends and family who visited me every day while I was stuck in hospital, and they have continued to visit me at home while I'm in the recovery stage too.

But, I am still so very, very bored. 



I haven't been very mobile or just plain well enough to go out anywhere or do anything. Even getting up and down the stairs in the first few weeks was a struggle.

The incredible tiredness is due to a mixture of the actual Cardiomyopathy condition and the drugs I'm on to keep my heart working calmly. I was told it could take a few months before I start feeling more normal again.

As well as the tiredness I also get chest pains, palpitations if I move about too much and I ache everywhere (the result of being stuck in a bed for days)

It has been incredibly frustrating waiting for my system to get used to the epic drugs I've been prescribed.

BUT over the last week things have been looking up. I managed a few outings that lasted more than walking a few steps, then falling into my bed and sleeping for ten hours.

I've been out to the cinema to celebrate Star Trek; here's me and Spocktopus off to watch Cumberbatch kick bum.


I was taken shopping by my mother (the longer I was able to stay out the more I was allowed to buy...my debit card is crying) and on Saturday I had my first night out since going into hospital.

I went to watch some burlesque, dear readers; so off I went dressed up in my lovely leopard print dress, with my hair looking fancy and bright red lippie smothered on my lips....I was not aware however that the venue was a hardcore biker bar.  Looking like this I walked into a sea of beards (seriously EVERYONE had a beard, even the women).

It turned out to be a wonderful evening. The bikers were charming, the drink flowed (lemonade for me) and I had a wonderful time amongst great company, beards and boobs.



My lovely friend Emma carted me to and from the event. Observe her surrounded by all the hairy bikers.

I'm hoping this is a turning point and I can start going out a little bit more to stave off becoming so bored that I chew off my own leg.

The point is, it does get better. And I am finally starting to believe that.




2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're able to be a bit more active. Fun times ahoy! Also bikers are surprisingly nice. I always seem to make friends with bikers in the crowds at Download and they're very friendly and usually help stop me getting crushed by drunken knobheads too! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They were so lovely! I had one come over and squeeeee at me about my hair flower. I had to go off to the loo so I could laugh my ass off.

    ReplyDelete