Monday 13 May 2013

Let's talk drugs

Drugs are bad m'kaaaaaaaay?

Unless they are designed to keep your heart working properly, so you don't drop down dead. I'm a fan of those drugs. Not so keen on the colourful side effects though.

I'm going to tell you about the medication I'm on at the moment to help my knackered old pumper going. There will also be pictures because this is EDUCATIONAL!

ACE Inhibitors

These bad boys reduce the activity of angiotensin-covering enzyme (hence ACE, because that's a fucking mouthful). The angiotensin-covering enzyme dilates your blood vessels, which makes your blood pressure go up and your heart ends up having to work harder to pump the blood through your tiny tubes.

The ACE Inhibitors make your blood vessels relax and widen, so it's easier for the blood to get through. So blood pressure goes down, heart works less, EVERYONE'S A WINNER!

Piccy of how an ACE Inhibitor works from www.cardiachealth.org



Beta Blockers

These are like the Arnie Schwarzenegger of the heart drugs world. I mean they're tough...not prone to inappropriately groping women's bottoms.

Beta Blockers slow down your heart rate. This means your heart doesn't have to work so bloody hard and means it needs less oxygen, blood and nutrients. Basically it makes your heart more efficient.

The below image from www.cardiologist.org explains it a little more clearly...poor dude, heart problems AND he's going bald.



When I went into hospital my heart rate was between 130 and 140 beats per minute. Now it's from 75-90

Diuretics

These make you wee....A LOT!



Diuretics make your kidneys increase the output of salt and water in your pee pee. So after taking them you spend the next few hours constantly running to the loo.

When you have heart failure your body retains fluid, because your heart can't pump it all out. I had a build up of fluid in my lungs and I am now fluid free thanks to these handy drugs.

The doctors may also refer to them as 'water tablets'

I'm on two different types. One is known as a Loop Diuretic, this removes the build up of fluid in my lung tissue. They're fast working getting everything out in 6-8 hours.

The other one is a Potassium-sparing Diuretic.These mean you don't get rid of too much potassium or sodium. Because your body needs these things to work properly and live!

Side Effects

With these drugs they have some very frustrating side effects, the main one is they all make your blood pressure go down...mine went way down. It was a good three weeks before I could stand up properly without falling over or feeling dizzy.

They're all pretty strong drugs so they leave me feeling very wiped out. I have been having mid afternoon disco naps just so I don't go to bed at 8pm like a little old biddy.

Also the ACE Inhibitors and Diuretics mean I have to check my kidney function and potassium levels in me blood (in case they are too low). So you need regular blood tests. And I hate needles.

The diuretics can also give you pretty nasty diarrhoea. I will not go into any more detail on that.

NO BOOZE! None at all on these. Eventually I can have the odd drink. No more nights of drinking rum from a giant silver top hat...then trying to steal said hat from the posh Soho wine bar.





















But one good side effect (well for us girls anyway) One of the diuretics I'm on can make your boobs bigger! I look forward to my Jordan sized knockers.

There are lots of other types of heart medications. If you want to know more or look up something you're taking I haven't mentioned look on the BHF website. THey have a section on heart meds and you can get a booklet from them too.

British Heart Foundation Explain Heart Medications!

I hope you have all learnt something today. CLASS DISMISSED!

1 comment:

  1. Learned against my will! It is quite crap that you're having to know this stuff - x

    ReplyDelete